Cars

2016 Chevrolet Colorado Duramax: Explosive Demand Leaves Tacoma Trembling

By  |

The mid-sized pickup truck segment here in the US is currently being dominated by latest Toyota Tacoma. Chevrolet saw this coming and they retaliated by launching the all-new Colorado Duramax.

The diesel-powered Colorado is built to offer better durability and also superb fuel economy. The pickup truck runs on the 2.8L Duramax 4-cylinder engine that is packed with 181hp and 369ft-lbs of torque. The best part is that the Colorado is able to return up to 31mpg in fuel economy.

This is pretty impressive and many consumers are attracted by it. Chevrolet revealed earlier today that they are having difficulties in keeping up with the demand for the Colorado Duramax.

At this rate, the Colorado can surpass the Toyota Tacoma in sales and return to the top spot as America’s bestselling mid-sized pickup truck. This is unless Toyota has got a backup plan to fight back.

10 Comments

1. gabby

January 1, 2016 at 3:32 pm

With engines barley poking out from the firewall now a days, how safe is this thing? A hood, gravel pan, and a bumper, is all that is between driver and the other vehicle. “Cab Forward design, means your
    face is forward in accident

2. Sean Maddox

January 1, 2016 at 5:49 pm

Now, if I could pull one of these engines and drop it in my lifted, 99 Toyota Tacoma, I would have the perfect truck. Massive power, better MPG, and a super light, no frills body. I wonder if anyone has tried this sort of conversion.

3. Chris

January 1, 2016 at 8:29 pm

I doubt it. Run the numbers on “cost” per mile. Diesel costs way more than unleaded right now.

4. RandyO

January 1, 2016 at 9:48 pm

My 2005 Tacoma has 315,000 miles and is still running strong. I had 2 American trucks prior to that and they were both ready for the boneyard before 150,000 miles. I’m not ready to go back…

5. diggie32

January 1, 2016 at 10:25 pm

Mmmhmm, the dealers told me the same of the 2015 Colorado. Because they can’t keep up probably says more about their slow output, than it does about sales numbers.

6. Tony

January 2, 2016 at 2:06 am

31 mpg is not really such a big deal when you consider how the driver has to get it.

First, the truck has to be empty, then it has to be driven on a flat road at 55 mph, cruise control has to be used continuously once up to speed and most important the truck has to be slowly accelerated.

The truth is, many foreign built trucks sold in the u.s. from 1975-1990, achieved fuel mileage of 28-37, and those trucks could be accelerated normally and could be loaded at the same time. On top of that, those trucks didn’t require a half a dozen computers to manage everything and the average Joe could work on them without requiring a PhD in quantum mechanics.

7. Dodge

January 2, 2016 at 4:56 am

The other fact that makes 31 MPG uninspiring is the size of this truck. Do GM buyers NOT have the smarts to realize this is a compact/midsize? The engine isn’t pushing around a full size that can haul 3,300 lbs (in the case of only the F150 only).

8. Barrycuda

January 2, 2016 at 6:13 am

I have had a Duramax for many years. I would not recommend anyone buy a diesel unless most of your time is pulling. Diesels are 3 to 5 times more costly to repair and maintain. I have had to learn how to work on this duramax as it is so costly to have anyone repair it. I am on my 2nd motor,1st one at 325k.
    If you want more torque, put a supercharger on your gas engine and it will work fine, I have done that(Whipple) and will do it again if I stop needing the use of my diesel. Never but a ford diesel.

9. Bob

January 2, 2016 at 6:31 am

225000 on my Tacoma and still drives as solid as the first day. It’s going to take more than a 4 cylinder diesel to change my mind that the Tacoma is the better truck. 170000 before needing brakes and I tow with it!

10. Terry

January 2, 2016 at 7:08 am

You buy this truck for power that no gasser can touch. Great MPG is icing on the cake. The downside is the DEF system that is on all newer diesel trucks not just GMC. Read how many newer Duramax’s have left their owners stranded. Full size Duramax trucks are great for running down the highway hauling heavy loads, keeping the exhaust system hot so it can regen and clean out the DPF. They are not so good for short trips especially in cold climates. DEF freezes. On short trips the DEF heater may never thaw out enough fluid to do a regen cycle, and after some time the DPF plugs up and the truck goes into limp mode. I loved my 2003 Duramax, I hate my 2013, left me stranded in Oregon, and may not start in very cold weather, -20 deg-F. Have to leave it plugged into 120V.